Homeschooling:
"You're BRAVER than you believe,
STRONGER than you seem,
and SMARTER than you think."
-A.A Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Friday, July 30, 2010

Other way to use flashcards

One time I was asking myself : what other way I can use flashcards? My baby was little at that time and he always wanted to touch my flashcards. Of course I was allowing him after session was done (I'm not sure if Doman would approve that ;-)) But I always was ending up with putting all flashcards back together and at that time I had a LOT of them. It took me some time and somehow I didn't enjoy that. So, one day when I was searching Google for free flashcards I found this website.
http://www.myfreeflashcards.com/  
 When I printed out some of the flashcards they provide, I realize I didn't have laminating pouches, but I badly wanted to show him "signs of the roads" flashcards.  As everyone knows it's hard to do flashcards session with soft paper. I decided to connect them together with rings I had already at home.
This way a book was created with words and pictures on separated pages. And I loved that idea because my baby was learning how to flip pages in soft books (great motor skill).  So I decided to leave flashcards in that way and to see if Eaton likes it. He still is crazy about these books. I'm not sure if this is the red big font on the front page that catches his attention or something else. Fonts and pictures are big and clear. Here is the picture of some of these books.
Here is the example of Eaton and me working with these books.


For the video purpose I was flipping pages to make it quicker.
The other reason I think that, Eaton likes these types of books is that he is into speed reading now, but I think I will leave that subject until next post.
  Have a wonderful day EVERYONE!




7 comments:

Elizabeth (DomanMom) said...

Thank you for starting this great blog. It looks like you have done an amazing job with your son. Keep up the good work, looking forward to reading more from you soon!

Waterdreamer said...

Wow! Thanks for sharing this great site! I think my
printer will be in full swing on Monday! Sometimes you can get plastic page protectors for cheaper the laminating sheets. I usually get them for 10 for $1 at the dollarstore but I have found them for as cheap as 25 for $1.99. Them you can protect those books in a little duotang for future children.
Thanks again for sharing!

Ruzzel said...

You are extremely amazing! You dont know how much you inspired me to teach my 2 little girls.

What kind of paper are you using for the skeletal system book? And what is the link for the animal babies and adult matching game. Are you just here in Hawaii?

Thank you so much.

Marta said...

I'm really grateful to hear words of encouragements from all of you. Thank you so much. If I can have an impact on only one person I could be completed :)

Ruzzel,
I was using regular printing paper for my skeletal book. I wanted my baby to practice flipping pages.
Here is the link to all cards in animal matching game I was using.

https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B_sGk1snprQtOTI2MGUxZjMtNGVjZC00ZDMyLTg2OWEtZmE0YTRiMWYwZDUy&hl=en&authkey=CIHL6eMN

Sorry for that delay in response. My baby didn't allow me to blog lately ;-)

I'm so happy you are from Hawaii. I live on Big Island though. But it's great to have local friend who shares the same idea in teaching babies. How old are your girls?

xoxo to all of you :)

Ruzzel said...

Marta,

Thank you for your reply. I've been looking for a mom doing early learning program here in
Honolulu, so far I havent found one. So happy to know your just here.

I have a 29 month old and an 11 month old girls. Second one is turning 1 this friday. Same bday as mine, aug. 20. I hope you guys can come over and celebrate with us. We are doing it on aug. 22.

Thans again.

Marta said...

Ruzzel,

Thank you so much for inviting us but we will be in Chicago during the end of August and beginning September. Happy Birthday to both of you! Though I hope to meet you one day :-) Please, continue your blog about your early learning. Anything is always encouraging!

Marta

Anonymous said...

Hello Marta,
i love what i am studying from your blog.I let you my email,when you are available because i want to ask you something and i really need your help,if i do not bother you,so my meail is moxuus@yahoo.com.
Thanks and God bless you and your family