Homeschooling:
"You're BRAVER than you believe,
STRONGER than you seem,
and SMARTER than you think."
-A.A Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Friday, August 6, 2010

Encyclopedic knowledge-hands on activity

Few months ago I bought some sets of encyclopedic knowledge from well known website 
http://www.gentlerevolution.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=G&Category_Code=BOT.


The last page in each set contains pictures of Bits of Intelligence with names. I didn't want to toss it so I used that to make hands on activity for Eaton. I made file folders for each set. The idea was great because Eaton was very interested in that activity. 


I made some addition to  file folder named "Inventors". First, I introduced names of each inventor but later on I created sentences with a name of inventor and invention . Example: Thomas Edison invented light bulb. This way Eaton is reading and learning new information. I show Eaton these files after Bit session, different each day and we both likes to spend time on that activity. Sometimes my baby doesn't finish activity like you will see on a video






6 comments:

Elizabeth (DomanMom) said...

That's amazing that his vision is that good at such an early age. Great idea for reusing bit cards. I have always loved matching games, I think it is a great way to learn.

By the way, I love, love, love all these videos you post. It is very helpful to see the "learning in action". Thanks for so much for sharing!

Waterdreamer said...

Great idea!! I have a bunch of those collecting dust. Thanks for sharing!!

rua mulla said...

Dear marta.
I tried to glue the pic to the file and ended up with a very wrinkled file???what did u use for glueing?? Does the pic come off after a while??? And did u laminate the pic and the names??? I regretted not laminating the names, they became crankily after using them!!!

Marta said...

Rua,
I didn't laminate these papers. The paper of these EK cards was pretty hard. For gluing I use Rubber Cement-No Wrinkle. The best glue in the world even for very thin paper ;-)

rua mulla said...

is this what u mean???http://cgi.ebay.com/Elmers-No-Wrinkle-Rubber-Cement-Brush-/160518126602?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&rvr_id=211085899532&type=4&customid=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.craftoodles.com%2Foodles%2FRubber%2BCement.aspx#ht_2135wt_764
does it also works with lamenated pic when glowing them to the file???

Marta said...

Rua,
Yes, this is the one I referred to. It works for laminating stuff too but you need to hold longer. That's it. :)