Homeschooling:
"You're BRAVER than you believe,
STRONGER than you seem,
and SMARTER than you think."
-A.A Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Monday, August 16, 2010

How I taught my baby to read in 2 languages by 19 months (Part I)

I've got few questions from people asking me about my way of teaching reading.

First of all, I would recommend reading "How to teach your baby to read" by Glenn Doman to all parents planning to introduce early learning.
Glenn Doman was the pioneer of the field of child brain development. In his book Glenn describes steps someone needs to take in order to properly introduce to a reading.
These steps are:
1) Single words
2) Couplets
3) Phrases
4) Sentences
5) Books

The very important factor of teaching a baby to read is to do that with enthusiasm and joy. I will not be summarizing Glenn's method, because you can find these articles on the internet and in the book I mentioned.
I will now describe my way of teaching that is not perfect and doesn't match the ideal method of Glenn Doman.

I was hooked on "Your baby can read", when I saw infomercial on TV, before my baby was born.
I started to show to Eaton flashcards that came with that program when he was about 3 months old. Next step was to introduce DVD's from "Your baby can read". At the same time I was preparing more flashcards based on Doman requirements: big, red then black fonts of words. I prepared capital letter and lower case letter sntencils. I made about 20 cards when I realized that I'm not able to do it quick enough. 
I supposed to introduce 5 new cards every day.

Then, I asked myself: How long I will be doing it? What is the limit of words to create for flashcards?
I found some post of lady saying that she prepared 3000 flashcards! Wow, that was too much for me at that time. I wanted to be dedicated, early learning mom but I was looking for an easier way to do it.

One day searching Internet, I found a Brill Kids program. I can't describe how much that program was a relief for me. I easily created daily sessions to Eaton, introducing basic signle words. I also started to show him reading curriculum that came with a program.

My daily teaching routine:

1) Waking up at 4 am every day. Like alarm clock ;-) Show 25 flashards as quick as I could.
2) 2 min reading session from Brill Kids http://www.brillkids.com/. We repeated a session 2 more times before breakfast. 

The rest of the day we spent on reading books, playing in or outside.

The way of reading books to Eaton:

I was buying books with big clear fonts and nice pictures. I tried to focus on real pictures instead of animated. Whenever I was reading I was pointing with my pointing finger to a specific word. That way Eaton saw what I was reading and how that word sounded.

These are examples of books I was buying for Eaton




I will finish here Part I. In next post I will describe books I prepared for Eaton .
Mahalo!



4 comments:

Karmeleon said...

wow - you are certainly very hardworking! I mostly took the easy way! But I'm super glad that it was all done while he was so young, bc now he's way more mobile, but at least since the foundation is set, he just progresses from there.

I also took pains to find books with big fonts and simple sentences. You'd love the 2nd-hand bookstall that I pounce on each time I see it come by at the atrium of our nearby mall (it's not always there). S$1 books - yeah, Singapore Dollar.

Chinese is another difficult area though. I have to frequently show him the words, bc those that are not seen frequently, he'd forget, since Chinese is a pictorial character. So I have to be more diligent in Chinese. English, not so bad, bc he picked up the idea of phonetics and can figure out how to read the words (no, i did not teach him phonics).

Marta said...

You are doing great job with teaching Chinese. It's really hard language. I had easier way to teach second language in a sense that Polish language has very similar alphabet to English. That's why Eaton picked up that pretty quick.

I need to check equivalent of that Singapore Dollar ;-)

Karmeleon said...

about 70cents usd?

Marta said...

Great deal for a book! Thanks for info.