Homeschooling:
"You're BRAVER than you believe,
STRONGER than you seem,
and SMARTER than you think."
-A.A Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Friday, September 17, 2010

Matching Fruit:Half to Whole-file folder game

I want to share with you one of my file folder game I created for Eaton few months ago. I decided to show that activity to him again as these pictures show real seeds of different fruits.




Eaton is at age where we can have little chat in the kitchen about what we are eating or cooking. Recent topic is "seeds".

Eaton loves papayas and avocados where seeds are very visible. When I cut the fruit in half I ask Eaton some questions.

What is inside of avocado? Or
Where are all the seeds?
What is it?-pointing to a seed

I talk about how we grow trees from seeds or I show him how the avocado seed sprouts.

It's really interesting topic for kids.

When we do matching fruit activity I point that most of the seeds are inside the fruit but some like strawberries have seeds outside on the skin.

I love that file folder game because pictures are so beautifully made and of course they are real.
I added words underneath pictures to reinforce the vocabulary of fruits.


Here are the links to files you can download for free.

http://www.montessoriforeveryone.com/assets/PDF/Whole_and_Half_Fruit.pdf

https://docs.google.com/document/edit?id=1kvSBjdGX_oPQfRhoe6c1C5zL23bur2ClSN4HybONLZg&hl=en#

https://docs.google.com/document/edit?id=1y6MORw0L-ik0x4IsJd7ZoZdbr335caWGo2yIa7Rj3v8&hl=en#

2 comments:

Ewa said...

Marta congratulations on your fantastic son. I'm so proud you are Polish it's good to know that we have such amazing people abroad, doing a fantastic job. I'm also Polish and I'm very interested in your way of teaching Eaton Polish. I'm doing the Doman's reading program with my son Antek.Pretty sucessful so far. My next qustion is : When did Eaton start to talk. Kisses from Poland Ewa

Marta said...

Hi Ewa from Poland!!!!!
Thank you so much for your post. I'm glad you found my blog. I don't know anyone from Poland who would be interested in early learning. And here you are...
About your questions:I think I started to understand what Eaton was saying when he was about 9-10 months old (car, truck was his first ;-)I started reading program at 4 months.
To teach Eaton Polish language I used this program I purchased online.
http://wczesnaedukacja.pl/ Cards are great but the vocabulary curriculum they provide is not based on Doman. I created my own.
I use Polish books I created by myself and BrillKids sessions in Polish language made by other people. Recently I bought bunch of Polish books being in Chicago. The only problem with them is that they have small fonts. I had hard time to find one with fonts big enough for Eaton to read. But because he is 20 months I see that it shouldn't be a big issue.

Thanks for reading my blog. Will you continue to write on your website? I'm very interested in Antek's math progress!
xoxo
marta