Homeschooling:
"You're BRAVER than you believe,
STRONGER than you seem,
and SMARTER than you think."
-A.A Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Monday, October 11, 2010

Spelling activity for toddlers

I've read that more than 89% of high school student have spelling problems.

In my teaching approach with Eaton I try to be proactive. I read about problems that kids have in school and then focus my attention to create appropriate activity for my baby.

Searching Internet I found great website with a lot of worksheets that my baby is not ready for.. But with a little twist I created similar activity that gives the same results-to test spelling level.

Spelling activity for toddlers is one of the activity you can continue to introduce later as vocabulary of a toddler is expending. It is easy to create and you can introduce that activity from time to time to test spelling level.
I assume, based on Doman books, that parents/teachers  shouldn't have too much trouble teaching babies spelling or phonics because babies retain knowledge much easier when it's introduced with joy and  fun.

Here is the website I copied words from.

You can find there few more sheets with different misspelled words so you can expand that activity if you want.

Link to my word doc with all misspelled words from that website:
Also, you can use this list of the most misspelled words, but you need to create your own misspelled list of words.

Here is the video of Eaton doing that activity for the first time. I was positively surprised that he was able to finish it with success. He even corrected himself at one time.


4 comments:

Olives and Pickles said...

Thank you for sharing the link!!He is so adorable!!

Marta said...

Thank you: :-)

Homeschool @ sg said...

hello! im glad i found your blog. Your homeschooling journey is very similar to mine! i started with doman flashcards too and now im on Montessori. Love your ideas...and impressed by your son's learning ability! Well done! :) Looks your kid loves the map just as mine!

Marta said...

Thank you.. I just visited your blog and it's great to see more moms homeschooling at early age. Love your ideas and already downloaded some stuff I didn't have. Thanks for sharing :)

Marta