Homeschooling:
"You're BRAVER than you believe,
STRONGER than you seem,
and SMARTER than you think."
-A.A Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Thursday, November 11, 2010

How to read a book with a baby

I just read Elizabeth's post  http://grhomeschooling.blogspot.com/2010/11/principles-of-teaching-tiny-children.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+LifeWithAKindergartnergentleRevolutionHomeschooling+(Life+with+a+Kindergartner+(Gentle+Revolution+Homeschooling)) about the principles of teaching tiny children.

It's amazing how babies and toddlers absorb knowledge through everything around them if that knowledge is presented in joyful way.

Few posts ago I wrote about my science corner and the book I created about gourds.
http://earlylearning-eaton.blogspot.com/search/label/Science

Yesterday, I just grabbed that book and without any thinking I asked Eaton: What is gourd native to, Eaton? He politely said: Africa. I couldn't believe he answered that question.
He didn't look in that book at that time, he was busy playing with his dump trucks. And honestly he read that book maybe 4 times so far. Then I asked him what "hollow" means (the adjective I introduced in the book) and he looked at me with his smiling face like "OOO I know that answer" and he said to me: "hollow means empty".

I shouldn't be surprised that Eaton answered those questions correctly but still it is amazing to me how they learn so quickly. And I'm proud of him for being that good student of early learning.


About two weeks ago (Eaton is still 22 months) I started another method of reading books to Eaton.
When  I read to him I don't finish the sentence. Usually, I stop reading when there is one or two words left at the end of the sentence and allow Eaton to finish it for me.
That way I see that Eaton is paying attention to what is read. Also, I ask questions about the book and we both participate in the story. Most of the time Eaton answers with a simple YES or NO and that is OK. Then, I try to answer more using different words.

I use that method only when Eaton is fully awake and I know he can participate in reading.

Here is the video of one of these sessions. It's hard to hold a book, point to a word and hold a camera in another hand but Eaton didn't mind me doing it this time :)


5 comments:

reei said...

that's nice to know. my 27 month old daughter is not reading yet, she is not very,, verbal. perhaps , it is because of multilingual environment at home. i am thinking of buying some books and building her library, instead of borrowing books all the time, do you have any early reader books recommendation? thanks.

Marta said...

Reei,
Doman believed that multilingual environment would only increase the chance of early communication.

What books? That depends on what books you already introduced to her. Are you looking for books with simple words or sentences?

Homeschool @ sg said...

yes, i experience that with my son too. It seems that he absorb information in an instant. He can remember the new info just after doing or reading something once or twice. Now that i read your post, im just wondering if this is the effect of glenn doman 'training'. somehow i tend to think it was the flashcards training that sharpen their memory skills. What do you think?

Marta said...

I'm glad you mentioned that. I think that flashcard method is just the fantastic way of sharpening kids mind. Eaton applys whole sentences, questions from books in his life. I started to ask questions regarding new words from books and he remembers them after reading one or twice like your son. It seems like our sons have a lot in common:) By the way I teach him Chinese too! (only through dvd's and BrillKids program though)

I will continue to use flashcard method as long as Eaton will absorb knowledge through them. He loves flashcards and every day he says to me "Is it lesson time?" or "It is math time". Then, he climbs on my laps to sit down and watch some digital lessons. Awesome time!

Homeschool @ sg said...

yeah, i do see alot of smilarities between your son and mine! Except that yours is learning at a much faster pace than mine- 1 year ahead to be exact! I do like to think that its due to the GD (glenn doman) method. WOW Chinese? you know chinese? Anyway, well done mummy!