Homeschooling:
"You're BRAVER than you believe,
STRONGER than you seem,
and SMARTER than you think."
-A.A Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

First Lesson Of Measurement-Volume

Measurement-Volume


Eaton loves banana shakes I make for him. We always talk about measurements: how much milk or orange juice do we need in order to make a shake for him. I thought that it would be appropriate time to introduce volume lesson. As you could see from my previous post about Eaton's Classroom I put some measurement flashcards on the wall. I left it there for about 2 weeks. Whenever Eaton was interested he was reading them and looking at these big pictures. ( Flashcards came with my yearly membership from here- I recommend this website a lot-$23 a year is nothing for what they offer!)




I created that activity using 5 plastic cups I already had in my kitchen. On each one of them I draw the same measurements like on flashcards using written words. I temporarily put some white napkins in order for you to see how that looks like.

     

On other sites of cups I  created another scale with numbers. I will leave that  for future fraction lessons.


Eaton was scooping red beans and filling out all cups pretty hard for about 15 minutes.





The other day I presented that activity Eaton brought his favorite toy to a table-yellow digger  and was scooping with a digger bucket. He had a lot of fun that day!!




11 comments:

BLUEYE said...

Marta thanks for this website. There are a lot of printables,games,activites which we will use in the future. Someone did the homework for me!!
I wish we had a similar website with the polish flash cards.

Anonymous said...

Hi Marta

I love the activities you prepare for your child. Your Eaton is lucky to have you as a mum.

Just a quick question- Do you laminate your printouts yourself? Also, how do you laminate your Montessori labels?

Thanks in advance!
Anna

Marta said...

Blueye,
Maybe you can start one ;-)


Anna, I do laminate materials by myself. I use heat based laminator. What Montessori labels are you referring to? I do laminate everything the same way, montessori or not. :)

I use this laminator:
http://www.amazon.com/Scotch-TL901-Thermal-Laminator-Roller/dp/B0010JEJPC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1297922091&sr=8-1

Mahalo!

Anonymous said...

Hi Marta,

I'm referring to the country labels in particular. How do manage to have all the edges sealed? Do you space them out onto the laminating pouch?

Many thanks for your help... I struggle with laminating anything that's not an A4 size.

Anna

ruamulla said...

Marta. The video is not working!!!!

Marta said...

Rua,
I'm uploading this through youtube. This source is more reliable than blogger.com.

Thanks for letting me know :)

Marta said...

Anna,
When I use smaller pouches than A4 I just cut paper first to fit a pouch and then after laminating I cut small pieces.Sometimes when I cut paper first I do space them out.

"How do manage to have all the edges sealed?" I'm not sure if I understand the question. Once you put a paper into laminating pouch it sealed pretty good only if there is one piece of paper. You can't put 2 pieces of paper, than it will not seal. Or you can seal 2 papers but the pouch needs to be bigger than papers. I hope we understand each other :)

Just Me. said...

Hi there,

I'm delurking. Been reading your blog and have found it very useful. May I have the link of the flashcard website you were talking about? the one with the volume images of full/half full etc? many thanks.

ps you have done such a great job with Ethan. I wished I had done homeschooling earlier. I had only just started and he is turning 2.

Marta said...

Thank you Just Me,
The link to the site I mentioned is in my post,but I will provide it here for you: http://www.k-3teacherresources.com/

It's never too late to teach your baby! 2 years old is a great age to start. You have plenty of time :)
Marta

Anonymous said...

Hi Marta do you have a file folder game using volume?

stacy

Marta Wilson said...

Hi Stacy,
Sorry to say but I don't have any file folder for teaching volume concept.