Homeschooling:
"You're BRAVER than you believe,
STRONGER than you seem,
and SMARTER than you think."
-A.A Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

MathStart-Big success!

Because we didn't have any success with Doman red dots, any flashcards or other type of counting method I decided to try another method: math books.


Eaton loves books in general so I thought that it would be great idea to introduce math: counting and addition through books. I purchased these 2 books at local thrift store just to check if Eaton will be interested at all..and he was!

I was very optimistic after we read these books few times.

Next step was to find  good math books that would teach math in some consistent matter, like: counting first, addition later. I was looking for a set of books written by one author and when I saw Monique's post on her blog I was so excited!

I checked Amazon, I compared prices with http://www.mathstart.net/books/level_1/ and decided to buy some of them through Amazon site as they don't charge me for a shipping.

Here is what I bought for now: Some level I and some level II
Why do I love these books?
1) Great pictures, very interesting for toddlers: transportation, bugs, animals..etc
2) Font big enough for Eaton. Easier books have bigger font, as the topic progresses the font is smaller because sentences are longer.

3) They are so well organized in topics: comparing sizes, comparing amounts, odd/even numbers, understanding capacity,counting by 5s and 10s, doubling numbers.
4) I already introduced 2 books to Eaton: patterns and addition- Eaton likes them a lot. He participates, points to pictures and answers my questions.
5) At the end of each book there are some extra activities you can introduce while reading the book.

These 2 books are in our curriculum for the next 2 weeks: "Animals On Board" and "Beep Beep Vroom Vroom".

These are my 2 activities I came up with after looking at these books.
1) We will use foam numbers to copy equations from the book
2) I copied these cars from internet for a pattern games for the second book. They have the same color: download here
                                      
Overall I'm glad I purchased these books and if we will like to work with all of them I would consider purchasing more advanced one: level II and III.

3 comments:

ruamulla said...

Dear Marta, I would love to have the cars pattern game. My Rkan is mesmerized with cars and wheels. I hope he will grasp the pattern concept when playing with them. My email ruamulla@yahoo.com. I also would love to have the demonstration on Eaton board regarding full and empty glasses.
I am wondering if u r thinking of incorprating Physical activity or considering building brachiation ladder. I really want to have one for Rkan esp. that he is getting very active and on the run but i also has no place in my house.

Waterdreamer said...

Thanks for the link back!
I just love those books!

Marta said...

Waterdreamer,
And you have great products reviews on your site!