Homeschooling:
"You're BRAVER than you believe,
STRONGER than you seem,
and SMARTER than you think."
-A.A Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Monday, February 7, 2011

Montessori Push Pin Maps

I mentioned before about Push Pin maps I created for Eaton. North and South America.
In this week curriculum we work on North America map. 


I used maps from MontessoriPrintShop to create that Push Pin Map.


I laminated color map and put it on the sturdy cork board.


To create these little push pins I used bamboo skewers I already had in my house. I prefer to use them as they are thicker and I cut them longer than size of toothpicks.


What you need:
* bamboo skewers or toothpicks
* push pins
*cork board
*2 laminating pouches

Flashcards:
I created flashcards in the format of the book for Eaton as he likes to flip pages by himself.




I printed out outlined maps of North America from Montessori print shop and colored each country red on each page. At the bottom of each page I wrote down country name to flash it to Eaton quickly without any hesitation. 

For those of you who don't want to purchase any maps I have a free one I downloaded about a year ago from Internet. These files belong to Michelle Harkey. Website unknown at this time. If anyone knows the blog site please contact me and I will post it over here. (This file includes Push Pin Map of Continents).











8 comments:

Anna said...

Marta, those maps look awesome! Can you give me some tips how you pushed the skewers through the laminated label cards?

Marta said...

Thank you Anna. I just use precision knife: http://www.amazon.com/Xacto-X3311-Precision-Knife-Blades/dp/B0000DD1N4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297132507&sr=8-1

It's great for other projects too :)

BLUEYE said...

Wow...what a great idea. Thank you. You can do this same way with the national flags.

Marta said...

BLUEYE,
This is my next step: to do flags of North America, but that will be until next 2 weeks curriculum or after my due date :)

Bri said...

lol Josiah won't let me use traditional flash cards either. I have to make books that HE can flip. He gets mad if I try to use flash cards the traditional Doman way.

P.S. I don't know if you've checked, but kizclub has added some new words to the alphabet flash cards. Just in case you want to get them done for the new baby. ;)

Marta said...

Bri,
Thank you for thinking about us! I will print out that extra flashcards for my second baby!

Anonymous said...

CAn I ask what is the size of your map and cork board.

Marta said...

Hi,
The map is A4 format. Board is slightly bigger 14x14 inches.
Have a great day.
Marta