Homeschooling:
"You're BRAVER than you believe,
STRONGER than you seem,
and SMARTER than you think."
-A.A Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Geography-Globe lesson #2

Yesterday, Eaton asked me to play with a globe that I put a little bit higher on a shelf since we moved to our new place. Right away I thought about new stuff I can teach Eaton using globe. I looked at our shelf and I saw a sphere-3 dimensional figure. I grabbed it together with a paper sheet that included pictures of land/continents and water. 


This lesson was very relaxed. Because Eaton is getting so good with verbal conversation I decided to ask him questions instead of using direct teaching method.

Examples of questions I used in our conversations:
* What is the shape of the Globe? (I pointed to a sphere figure)
*Where is Madagascar? (Eaton's favorite place on a globe)
*Is Madagascar below or above Equator?
*Is Europe on a Southern Hemisphere? "No"; "Where is it", "On Northern Hemisphere"
*How many Continents are there?
*What is the biggest Continent? (lessons from BrillKids)
*Can you point to the Australia please?
*What is it? (I pointed to the water area on a worksheet)
*In the last activity I asked him to color water-blue color and land-green color on a worksheet.


We also read a book called "Spheres"


That was a good lesson-slowly progressing with geography!

No comments: