Homeschooling:
"You're BRAVER than you believe,
STRONGER than you seem,
and SMARTER than you think."
-A.A Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Biomes

A "Biome" is a community of plants and animals in a region and a climate.

This is the look of our board for this unit.



I prepared that activity after our globe lesson and lessons about regions around the world. This is just a basic lesson of understanding where animals live.
 Biomes I've created are:

Tropical Forest:Scarlet Macaw, Golden Poison Dart Frog, Red Eye Tree frog, Toucan, Jaguar, Sumatran Orangutan



Forest: Squarrel, Grizzly Bear, Red Fox, White Tailed Deer, Northern Hawk Owl, Hedgehog


Ocean: Jelly Fish, Great White Shark, Manta Ray, Clown Fish, Seahorse, Octopus


Grassland:African Lion, Giraffe, Leopard, Zebra, African Elephant, Black Rhinoceros


Polar Regions: Beluga Whale, Snowy Owl, Emperor Penguin, Polar Bear Cub, Harp Seal, Arctic Fox.


You can use these cards in many ways. 
The way I did it:
First: I printed out posters-2 regions at a time.

Second: Eaton matched words to pictures.


Third: Eaton matched picture cards to specific region. We used hanging packet chart for this activity.


If you like this activity you can print it out over HERE.

Enjoy!





11 comments:

Ewa said...

Great introductory activities Marta :-)
I like the way you adapted them to be used by the toddler ;-)

We will use it with Antek for sure
By the way - very cute clip arts

Hugs
Ewa

Pani Tanguera i Gabiƛ said...

Marta, this is wonderful! Is it ok if I do some changes, as I teach Gabi Polish only? BTW, are you teaching Eaton Polish too?
Greeting from far north... :-)
PaniTanguera

Ruzzel said...

Marta,

Thank you so much for sharing...


Ruzzel

Marta said...

Thank you ladies !
Pani Tanguera, you can do changes to my activities, no problem.

I teach Eaton Polish through books and BrillKids. Also, I teach him Spanish, Chinese and recently I started Russian. I decided to do activities in English because this will be his main language and I also prepare him for homeschooling.
Marta

rua said...

Dear Marta
Can u share with us what do u use for chinese and spanish??
Thank you

Rua said...

Dear marta .
i found this kids ocean movie DVD and the language is easy to be understood by toddler.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8nxiro1u78&feature=related
i thought about sharing with you.
enjoy
http://www.diveintoyourimagination.com/component/option,com_virtuemart/page,shop.browse/category_id,6/Itemid,103/

Rua said...

Dear marta .
i found this kids ocean movie DVD and the language is easy to be understood by toddler.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8nxiro1u78&feature=related
i thought about sharing with you.
enjoy
http://www.diveintoyourimagination.com/component/option,com_virtuemart/page,shop.browse/category_id,6/Itemid,103/

Anonymous said...

hello, wow, what a rich environment you are providing for your son. i have a little request: would it be possible for you to provide a "follow us by e-mail" option for those of us who like to receive new posts in their mail box? please?

Ruzzel said...

Marta,

Which curriculum are you going to use for Eaton when you homeschool him?

Thanks.

Ruzzel

Marta said...

Rua,
I'm writing a post about Chinese language, so it should be available any day now. Also, I will write something about Spanish too later.
Thank you so much for the video link, looks very interesting :) I plan to include some youtube videos to Eaton's learning.

Anonymous,
Please provide your email address so I will put it on my list and you can get all updates.

Ruzzel,
I'm not sure about curriculum. Didn't decide yet.Many choices out there and I didn't make up my mind. I still look at what Eaton likes to do and based on that I will plan which way to go.
Do you plan to homeschooling?

xoxo to all!! Thank you.

Amanda N said...

Could you email this document to me? Scribd isn't letting me access it. Thank you so much!

amandanease at gmail dot com