Homeschooling:
"You're BRAVER than you believe,
STRONGER than you seem,
and SMARTER than you think."
-A.A Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Addition Song

I tried to teach Eaton addition through different techniques but nothing seemed to be interesting enough to Eaton. So, I thought, I will wait with math, as this subject was always hard to teach Eaton. One day I thought I will try one more time through YouTube website. I found this Addition Song that Eaton liked a lot. I thought about more interactive time  between me and Eaton instead of TV -Eaton, and I came up with an idea that I will write down lyrics of that song on the sheet of a paper with pictures.( I did include Eaton's picture to make it more personal.)
Later, I thought about combining that with a memory game, so I created extra cards with equations and pictures only. 




Here is our second time I sang that song to Eaton (I sang all paragraphs with the same tone!)


We sang that song every day for a week. I should say, I sang most of the time until few days ago Eaton asked for an addition song sheet and then he did sing by himself. Although, he was reading lyrics, it was beautiful to see him singing.


Here is Eaton few days later singing by himself.
And now, I am so proud to say that Eaton sang all equations by himself in the car!! Then I asked him for the equation results and all of them were positive. Although he memorized them I still teach Eaton addition playing with cars. But the song allow us to pass that stage of lack of answers when I asked questions.


I would like to share that lyrics sheet and cards with you but I'm still waiting for the approval to use these lyrics from their website. No response so far.
Until then I can share only idea and a picture for those of you who like to sing.

Have a great day!




3 comments:

K said...

hej, zainspirowałaś mnie i SAMA! wymyśliłam Staśkowi analogiczny wierszyk o mnożeniu:) Stasiek zapamiętał go od razu, zanim wydrukowałam karty i recytował go przy kolacji:) dzięki za pomysł - Staś go pokochał, teraz tworzę coś podobnego dla Oleczka, ale tu już chyba nie będę wymyślać sama, ale poszukam gotowca:)

ruamulla said...

Marta.
is that wooden small stand a card holder??? where can i find it?? its slanted angel seems just perfect !!

Marta said...

K
Gdybym ja to tak mogla latwo wymyslac wierszyki. Oj niestety musze liczyc na gotowce jesli chodzi o liryke. :) Super dzielnych masz Tych swoich dziadkow. Pozdrawiam serdecznie

Rua,
This stand holder is our Ipad stand. My husband bought extra one I use for our lessons:)