Homeschooling:
"You're BRAVER than you believe,
STRONGER than you seem,
and SMARTER than you think."
-A.A Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Friday, October 28, 2011

Magnetic Table

A month ago I crated this magnetic table from the frame I had extra in my drawer. I think I saw similar idea in one of online science stores, but the table was much bigger where few kids could play together. My husband cut some wood for legs. I sprayed them black and glued them to the picture frame. Magnetic/Non Magnetic activity is one of very popular among preschoolers because it's really fun to play with magnets. Eaton has quite a few magnetic toys and he loves them all, so I new that this table will be a hit especially when the racing track will be on it. 


I put few things in the middle of the table. Eaton checked with magnetic stick which material is magnetic, then he put them on the left side. The non-magnetic he just moved with a hand to the right side.


In this example I asked Eaton if the ceramic mini cup would be magnetic. We practiced predictions -"what do you think will happen" scenarios. The funny part was with a key. Because the circle on a key was magnetic only, so it wasn't easy to move it. Then we separated them and Eaton could see that the key was non magnetic. We talked a little bit about Iron - metal that is attracted by magnet and how magnet works through glass. I put apart a picture frame and I showed Eaton all parts of it for him to see the power of a magnet.




To create a magnetic stick I used 2 little magnets and I taped them to the wooden craft stick.


This is more entertaining version of a table. I printed out some tracks on Internet, created little cars with paper clips attached to them and .. VOILA! 


Eaton really enjoys this table!


And this is how we play with magnetic table. 


Downloads:

Enjoy your weekend!

















6 comments:

coscik said...

What a cool idea

Lisa said...

They have these at the main library in the city! They are great. Love that it's doable to make at home. Thanks so much for sharing!

Lisa said...

I shared a link to this blog post on my blog, I like this so much! http://weewonderings.blogspot.com/2011/10/early-learning-with-marta-and-eaton.html

Ruamulla said...

What is the back of the fram?? wood or what ????
also check this website, it nice and i think eaton will love theword surch game!!
blogglesworldesl.com/wordsearches.htm

Ruamulla said...

What is the back of the fram?? wood or what ????
also check this website, it nice and i think eaton will love theword surch game!!
blogglesworldesl.com/wordsearches.htm

Marta said...

Thank you Ladies!
Thank you Lisa for sharing my link on your post. You are very lucky having that type of activity in the library! On the Island we don't have too much to present to our toddlers..So I need to make stuff like that by myself.

Rua, The back of the frame is made of very sturdy wood-like sheet. I took out some metal pieces from it and hammered it to make it flat for easy use with magnet.

I hope that helped :)