Homeschooling:
"You're BRAVER than you believe,
STRONGER than you seem,
and SMARTER than you think."
-A.A Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Keeping Track of your baby's progress

Recently, I visited local Montessori school with my baby Eaton. There were many reasons I was thinking to send my baby to school ( maybe I will mention about them later). For now I want to talk about the idea of keeping progress of your toddler's learning. My blog is the way of keeping log of some activities I do with Eaton. Although, recently, I don't have too much time to update my blog on time, I try to keep the same pace with teaching Eaton like I did before. It's not easy to do with 2 kids now.:)

The idea I want to share with you is that the lady at Montessori school shown me her daughter's folder of progress for the specific year. I would love to see other charts of progress in different areas, but the one she shown me was the progress of cutting activity. You would think "What's the point of it?", but when I saw this lady's daughter's sheet, cut at the beginning of the year and then at the end of the year, I was impressed because it was SO VISIBLE to see that huge progress. Lines where cut straight or curved in designated areas. 

Today, Eaton looked at the shelf and he saw cutting activity. It was a simple page that needed to be cut in half. He liked the picture and then he asked for more.  Few minutes before that, I was organizing my desk, and I found few pages I wanted to toss it because I didn't see the use of it. I gave them to Eaton who was asking for more pages to cut.  He was excited, it looked like he hold scissors stronger than 2 months ago and he wanted to cut more pages. (There was a period of few months where Eaton didn't want to touch scissors at all!!!) Eaton cut some pages, then he started to use scissors with left hand.

When I looked at all these scraps I had a vision of Montessori school and the French lady and her progress chart. I decided to do the same with Eaton's activity. Here is the result.




I just glued all pieces on white page. I put some glue only in the middle of each piece to be able to see the way Eaton cut this page. 

Advice: Please, do not show this page to a baby. :)

 Eaton didn't like it at all and he wanted to cut this page again. I think he felt like his work wasn't respected, and I didn't mean to do that at all. Maybe with older kids that wouldn't be an issue.

I plan to keep similar progress folder with Eaton's handwriting.
In other areas I keep log of videos where we can see Eaton's progress of obtaining knowledge. I think that Eaton will enjoy his progress folder once he will be a little bit older.
Have a great day everyone!


No comments: