Homeschooling:
"You're BRAVER than you believe,
STRONGER than you seem,
and SMARTER than you think."
-A.A Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Friday, February 3, 2012

Cardinal Directions-File Folder Activity Idea

Few months ago I bought this book full of stickers for different themes. 
Eaton started to decorate house with them, even my glass I used the other day for drinking water. So I decided to incorporate them with our lesson about directions using Compass Rose. Eaton knows basic N, S, W, E directions but I didn't introduce NW, NE...etc yet and I wanted to do that now. Especially when science: compass lesson is coming closer. Although Eaton knows directions I didn't see him using them the way like the file folder is created. Plus, all the distraction: construction vehicles and road sings he loves will give him something to work with. I printed out Compass Rose for Eaton as a cheat sheet.


I created 2 variations:
1. I put 2 pictures on the board. And then I created instructions for Eaton using basic N, S, E, W directions. I printed out extra few pictures so I will be changing pictures for futures games.


2. This is the one using more advanced NW, NE, SE, SW. I put one picture in the middle of the 3x3 grid and another one next to it. 


In the instruction you can see the little font with coordinates of pictures I attached to the board in order to create instruction. I didn't glue them, so Eaton will have different games each time.
 I created similar file folder with animals as well.


Like this idea? Yes? No?


Enjoy your weekend everyone!


Update: Please check here for my sample of instruction for the Cardinal Directions file folder.

2 comments:

viv said...

would you share the instruction sheets to have an idea how to play it please , looks fun .my kids are in love with stickers too , and they put them everywhere , very nice decorative wall paper effect hehehe

Marta said...

Viv,
I updated my post. You can download my instruction page.
Thanks for visiting :)
Marta