Homeschooling:
"You're BRAVER than you believe,
STRONGER than you seem,
and SMARTER than you think."
-A.A Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Friday, March 23, 2012

Math Talk

Today, I want to mention one book I purchased in the form of e-book. This book is called "Math Talk". I didn't plan to purchase that book because I didn't know that they exist. It's kind of activity I do all the time with Eaton once reading any kind of book. But what cool about this book is that it presents pictures and questions ready to go. By reading specific question in different form it allows Eaton to think differently. 


What I realized is that my limited English vocabulary already causes some obstacles in teaching. What does that mean is that I don't maximize Eaton's potential once we read books. I use the same vocabulary and the same type of questions. This book opened my eyes a little bit and shown me other way of asking questions I would never use. That was the reason I purchased that book. Maybe for English speaking people wouldn't that be a problem.  (And .. cattails!!! Yeah, I didn't know English name of these plants)


I'm going to show you a video of our first attempt to this type of activity. Eaton surprised me a little bit by asking me to work in school area at 9 pm. And, because I really wanted to start that book ASAP I did that with him the other evening.


Here is the picture that we were looking at together on the video.

 Here are 2 pages with questions you can ask your child. This is the first set from that book. Questions at the end of the book are more detailed and the difficulty level increases.



One thing that surprised me a little bit is that last 6 pictures in that book are just normal (not animated) pictures so they are not so colorful like the first ones.

Also, before watching this video I want to mention that Eaton is going through another period of "Being in his own world". He pretends play a LOT, he uses knowledge, names, characters from books and movies and he incorporates that into our playing/learning time. This is really beautiful, amazing stage and I love everything about it, and you can see that on the video. He even mentioned baby jaguar from Diego movie he watched that day. And by the way, Eaton didn't saw batman movie yet, but he loves to play with that plastic toys all the time.






1 comment:

Ania said...

Kochana z przyjemnością przekazuję Ci wyróżnienie w zabawie blogowej - Tell me about yourself.
Pozdrawiam!

http://raaanyjulek.blogspot.com/2012/04/tell-me-about-yourself-award.html