Homeschooling:
"You're BRAVER than you believe,
STRONGER than you seem,
and SMARTER than you think."
-A.A Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Herb Garden








This herb garden idea was in my plan for a while,but I was waiting for Eaton to be really ready to grow plants. Although we did lots of planting and re-planting herbs, veggies etc this time I wanted Eaton to take care of his own mini garden.


What I used for decorations:
1. Soil
2. White sand
3. Shells
4. Stones
5. Animal houses and wooden latter (I purchased them in pet store long time ago for Eaton to use it in his play time).
6. Mini pots for future herb growing
7. Seedlings of herbs we previously planted. I put some basil plant I kept in the kitchen so
   far.




We started from the beginning: 
Planting Herbs Tray
Our tray included:


1. Mini herb pots ( My 6 mini pots I used long time previously for planting herbs in  my kitchen. I kept for
    my kids use.)
2. Pellets
3. Herb seeds (I had only parsley, chives and basil as I used them for cooking). 
4. Bottle of water
5. Wooden sticks and labels for each herb.
6. Book "How a seed grows"

 Eaton put all pellets into pots.
He made holes for seeds with a chopstick
Eaton pour some water into pellets. Lesson about absorption.
 He put seeds into pellets. His friend Aak helped Eaton a lot in all kinds of things ;-)

 Herb labels

Eaton put labels behind some of the pellets.
 Finished work
 At the end we read the book "How a seed grows".
 The last task was to find some sunny spot in the house. Our school area was a perfect one.

Once the seedling were big and strong enough we put them in the herb garden outside.
The   herb garden was a success. When  Eaton saw the final project he said "It is so cute", and he gave me a big smile. Mommy was proud of herself that day:)

No comments: