Homeschooling:
"You're BRAVER than you believe,
STRONGER than you seem,
and SMARTER than you think."
-A.A Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Thursday, November 22, 2012

Worksheets-Update

Until now we used a simple white binder for Eaton's daily worksheets. Because I wanted him to be more excited during our work I decided to print out some transformers and glue them to the binder but instead of that Eaton picked one folder at a Target the other day. He said "I really like these stairs", so we got that for him. 3D?! Who would thought about that;-)



I divided folder into 5 days: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday during which we always do worksheets. 

In the left side packet of the binder I put some "Cut and Paste" sheets.  Whenever Eaton is ready to use them he has easy access to them. (Scissors and glue are in different place).

At the end of the binder I put all the mazes for a week. I always have more of them just in case. Eaton has those moments where he is very strongly engaged into doing mazes, and he can do many of them in one day.

I don't put many pages into binder anymore like I did before. I keep few pages up to 6-8 maybe. Eaton doesn't like repetitions, he learns pretty quick and he doesn't need to review materials. 

This is what I include in worksheet binder-Eaton almost 4 years old. 
1. Drawing page from the book: "Follow The Directions & Draw It All By Yourself" by Kristin Geller.
2. Mammoth Math worksheet page from Grade 1-A Work text Light Blue Series.
4. "Tracing" Preschool Activities. These pages are pretty good. Lines that Eaton needs to follow are pretty narrow. He practices his handwriting movements a lot. Recently, he requested a new  fine pen in order to follow lines.
5. Handwriting page I create. Practicing cursive.
6. Word search-various pages printed out from Internet.
7. Some foreign language related worksheets.

I was a little bit sceptical about new setup of worksheets because Eaton is so easy distracted by anything around and I thought he would be flipping pages of different days. That actually happened on the first day with a new binder, but I insisted to follow days first and then if he is still interested he can do pages from different days. He agreed! And.. he follows that method.

What I like about Eaton is that even though he is not 4 years old I can make agreement with him. If there is something that I don't want him to do for a different reason (usually in order to keep boundaries) I try to make agreement with him and he likes that way. I give him a choice and he picks the one he is comfortable with. I don't give him a choice like: OK, you can do this way or not at all! ;-) that would be silly but I usually try to understand why he wants to do his way, first, and then appropriately to that I come up with 2 choices that are comfortable for both of us and to keep that boundaries in mind. 
Have a wonderful day EVERYONE!



No comments: