Homeschooling:
"You're BRAVER than you believe,
STRONGER than you seem,
and SMARTER than you think."
-A.A Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Thursday, September 5, 2013

Visual Spatial Learner and Equations

Fascinations with equations started when Eaton turned 4. We read some books related to math equations and since then Eaton started to draw them. First, he started with something like that.
On the right side there are "equations which mom can not solve", like Eaton said.
Few months later inspired by "Huckle" movie and his mysteries that needed to be solved I came up with "Mystery Equations" game. 
I started with simple addition game first. I added some clues on the right side.
Example:  _ + _ = 6,  when first number is bigger than the second one. I wrote down math symbols  instead of saying them out loud.

That simple game led us to longer equations with more difficult clues.
Examples: 
1) _ +_ +_ + _ = 4. Clue: All numbers needs to be the same.
2) _ + _ = 5. Clue: First number is even, second odd.
3) _ + _ + _ = 9. Clue: First number is the 1st odd number starting from 0, 2nd number is the 2nd odd number starting from 0, and the 3rd number is the 3rd odd number starting from 0.
These are just examples what we did. We mixed clues, then Eaton started to came up with really hard equations for me that included 2 and 3 digit numbers.


At this point we work with our equations using real money. We play a lot with money board games (I will write about it later) and we added more clues like: "2nd number is 2 digit number"  etc.


Working with 100 number and quarters led us to division and the conversation about the quarters of the year. 
I started that game few months ago. Eaton loves the idea of solving math equations and this game is just the hit for Visual Spatial Learner. I didn't know about it until I got confirmation from the book " Right-Brained Children in a Left-Brained World " written by  Jeffrey Freed and Laurie Parsons. 

What that means for me is that I'm a good observer of my boy's needs and his style of learning. I'm really happy that I got confirmations of my discoveries from someone who has 20 years of experience with working with VSL's children. 

So what is the point of this game you ask? It's a great game for pattern recognition and VSL's are pretty good at them. This game will lead to mental math afterward. I also read that VSL's have a problem with  doing math equations in the column form on the paper. They are more capable of doing mental math and providing the ending result than showing step by step math process.

So far Eaton likes this type of game. As long as he enjoys it we will continue that and progress with more difficult clues and higher numbers.

4 comments:

Monika said...

Eaton jest niesamowity, a Ty Marto, masz fantastyczne pomysły co do jego edukacji, bardzo lubię przeglądać Waszego bloga, bo daje mi pomysły na to co mogę realizować z dziewczynkami. Julia bardzo lubi matematykę, może niedługo też spróbuję jej przedstawić trochę tematów z fizyki. Życzymy Wam ciekawych przygód z nauką.

Marta said...

Dziekuje Monika,
Ja rowniez zagladnelam na Twojego bloga, na ktorym masz bardzo ciekawe zajecia z dziewczynkami.

Moj Nathaniel tez lubi matematyke bardziej niz Eaton, wiec musze podciagnac ten temat u niego.
I Wam zycze udanej nauki/zabawy!!
Pozdrawiam serdecznie
Marta

Katy Sewell said...

Both of my children are still very young, but they are very bright for their ages. I want to enroll them into an early learning program near Chicago, IL . Would you happen to have any suggestions for me?

Marta said...

Hi Katy,
I lived in Chicago for few years. Moved to Hawaii about 6 years ago. How is Chicago now? ;-)

It is important decision to choose a place for your children that you feel that they are under a good care. It's hard to tell from the link you send me about program for young children, what they offer etc. The video with pictures was more appealing to me but again not much about program. I'm wondering if you had a tour of that place with your children to see the preschool area, teachers and the whole environment. If I would be in the position of sending my child to school my first choice would be Montessori school. They have excellent program with purpose for each toy children play. And if the school is right, meaning if they really follow Montessori steps (Montessori Certified) they reach the potential of young childrens. If you have time before enrolling your child I would advise you to visit Montessori and Concordia place and compare them. Compare the environment, teachers, programs, what activities you see on shelves and I really believe in energy of the place. If everything seems beautiful, children are happy, busy with activities, teachers are encouraging, go for that place. After visiting these places you can ask yourself a question "Which school would you like to attend?"

I hope that answer your question Katy. I would love to hear what was your final decision.
Good luck!
Marta