"All I have learned, I learned from books."
- Abraham Lincoln

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Exploration Table

New Year, new activities and new arrangment in our house. I made a little table from a piece of furniture that was hidden in our closet for some time. 
The first exploration table activity is all about mirrors, reflections and everything that comes with that. Boys explore that table freely using all the materials I prepared and I can tell they like it. 

 I taped 3 square mirrors together with a duct tape on the back. Mirrors I purchased a year ago in Ace-hardware store and they are really stable. Boys used them for drawing nature elements outside the house. Mirrors are pretty big in size. Behind mirrors I put a lamp so they can use that setup during evening too. Light reflects so beautifully on the mirrors creating nice visual look. 

Under the table we keep small parts in baskets: special crayons for drawing on mirrors, marbles, colorful stones, colorful mini cups and some words written backwards so they can play guessing the word game. I found great activities online that involve mirrors and I will use them with Eaton.

Here are some pics from boys playtime:













I plan to use that table for our STEM activities as well. It's wide enough to sit next to it and build some structures.
I found the link to Anna's blog that was the inspiration for this activity.  From her post you can find some other interesting links as well. Thank you Anna!
Happy New Year!

2 comments:

Monika said...

Macie fantastyczne miejsce do pracy i świetne pomysły na jego wykorzystanie. Ja chciałabym stworzyć podświetlany stolik dla dziewczynek i mam nadzieję, że uda mi się to zrobić w najbliższym czasie.Pozdrawiam Was serdecznie.

Marta said...

Hej Monika,
U mnie podswietlany stolik tez jest w planie. I moze skusze sie na kupno bo czasu brakuje:)
Pozdrawiam