Homeschooling:
"You're BRAVER than you believe,
STRONGER than you seem,
and SMARTER than you think."
-A.A Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Monday, January 5, 2015

Messy Project: Globe Paper Mache




I opened Pinterest account long time ago. I think it was at the time the Pinterest was created, but I never utilize fully that awesome website. 

Few months ago I started to create educational boards on Pinterest that would help me remember all the great ideas I see on the Internet.

I'm really visual and this is the way I learn very easy and quickly. I'm not spatial though like my older son, but Pinterest helped me to record a lot of stuff I want to use with my boys. 

I've created many boards under Marta Kalinowska-Wilson account that I use consistently now. One of the boards is Geography. I still work on adding more pins into that board.

Recently we worked on Paper Machet Globe. It was my first time creating Paper Mache. I never did that in my life so the project came good but not perfect. I searched YouTube videos for a correct recipe: just Google: paper mache recipe

I used Fast Easy Paper Mache Recipe. This recipe was quick and I didn't have to use glue. Although overall Eaton is good with glue but I know that when the project is messy (that's how they warned us on the video) I decided to go with the easy way as Eaton has a tendency to shake his hands a lot when something sticky is on them. 

Eaton did shake his hands a lot and the project was completely messy creating Paper Mache, but it was fun. I don't have any picture illustrating that, because I was totally involved in that messy project. 

Our globe came out pretty OK besides small flaws: balloon wasn't the sphere shape and the balloon was too big that made our continents being too apart from each other. Overall kids enjoyed the project and maybe one day we will re-do it when they will be older.



                                                      Step 1: Tearing stripes of newspaper.
                                             Boys were really involved in that step of the project





  Step 2: Preparing water-flour mixture and wrapping
 the stripes around the surface of the balloon.
                      


I don't have any pictures of the step when they put glued paper on a balloon. I was the one holding the balloon in my left hand and attaching more papers to it. Here is the finished effect of this step.


Step 4: Coloring the balloon and attaching all the continents to it.






Step 5: Add equator line and put an X on the place you currently live on.


Eaton added another globe to our display:plastic globe puzzle.


Final Globe Paper Mache











2 comments:

Naren W said...

Hi! Thanks for sharing!! This is awesome:)) Lv to you, Eaton & Nathaniel:))

Marta said...

Thank you so much Naren :)