Homeschooling:
"You're BRAVER than you believe,
STRONGER than you seem,
and SMARTER than you think."
-A.A Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Saturday, July 16, 2016

The way I homeschool my boys

It's July 16, 2016. At this time Eaton is 7 years old and Nathaniel is 5 years old. 

The other day I had a great time with my little boy Nathaniel reading one simple book called” Change it!” It’s a Primary Physical Science book that talks about physics of matter-solids, liquids, and gasses. We read only one, 6-page section, about solids. We didn’t have to make playdough that was a part of this experiment as we already had leftovers from the Astro Day we attended not so long ago.



You don’t have to ask 5 years old boy if he wants to play with playdough. He digs in and right away he creates anything that is related to food.



 We talked about characteristics of solids during our playtime and examples of solids around us. We started to “bake” chocolate chip cookies, create strawberries, hot dogs, popsicles, and sweet cakes. We even opened an imaginative store and sold some goodies to customers. Eaton joined us in the middle of the play as we had so much fun creating all of it.















One thing led to another. Nathaniel mentioned that his cookie is very big so I grabbed the scale we had on our shelves and we started to weight the cookie. It was a metric scale so we measured the weight in grams.


After that, Nathaniel counted the value of all the grams on the scale but it wasn’t enough to weight a cookie. It was a really big one! So I brought more weights from the other room. This time, I gave him ounces. He put 1 ounce together with all the grams and he asked me how many grams are in 1 ounce. I said: Let’s figure that out. So we did.






 Then, Nathaniel was so impressed with his cookie that he asked me: “On the scale from 1-100 how would you rate my cookie?” I said: “99.9”. Another question “How much is that?”


I asked him to roll some playdough and cut 10 equal pieces from it.   We had fraction lesson as well.


As you can see I do love learning with the flow. I love my boy’s questions and how together we can figure them out.


It’s so simple, so easy and it comes naturally without setting up a special lesson. We just read a simple book and one thing led to another. 

2 comments:

Małgorzata Masłowska said...

Hi Marta, I really admire the way you homeschool your kids. They are adorable. Ive been following you for 2 years and love your blog. I used many ideas from your blog to work with my son. My boy is 34 months old and I feel stuck with math. We are very successful with reading, encyclopedic knowledge but we can not do much progress with math. Id love to read a blog post about your journey with math and resources you used or if you could give me your insight on my private email Id highly appreciate. My email is margomas@gmail.com By the way Im Polish as well. All the best. Margarita

Fernando Camberos said...

This is definitely an incredibly rich resource that you have spent so much valuable time developing, I'll recommend it to parents at our school as well as link to it in our Montessori Resources section so that our teachers can take a look. Thanks! Check us out too at C'e Montessori Preschool in Brooklyn